Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Brazilian Rice [We Were Promised Jetpacks]

Vegan MoFo Day 2

Brazilian Rice
This dish is an attempt to replicate a dish that is from the hot bar at Whole Foods. I think I come pretty close. Either way, it's tasty stuff.

I'm not sure this is anything close to Brazilian cuisine, but that's what Whole Foods called it and this is my attempt at their dish. Here are the quantities that I used (I really like turmeric, so you might want to back it off a little):

  • 1.5 cups rice (uncooked)
  • 1 bullion cube
  • 2 tsp turmeric (maybe 1.5 tsp)

I use a rice cooker for all of my rice. Add the rice and spices to 2 cups of water. Adjust depending on your method of preparation. While it's cooking you might think that I'm seriously out of control with the turmeric, but it's okay. Turmeric is a very aromatic spice and it's not going to overpower the other flavors (I promise).

  • olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 1 cans worth black beans (about 1.75-2 cups prepared)
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne
  • 1.5 tsp oregano
  • 2 tsp parsley
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • water
  • salt to taste

Heat up a bit of olive oil (2 tbsp maybe) in a pan. Cook the onions until they are translucent. Add black beans. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add spices and tomatoes. Add the cooked rice. At this point, I add some water and cook everything down at a low temperature. This blends that flavors and makes sure the rice isn't too sticky. Taste during this and add salt as you see fit. When it looks ready to go, add the cilantro.

I made this with tomatoes from my sister's garden and they were amazing! The most flavorful tomatoes I've had in a long time. So, thanks sis for the great ingredients.


Still hot in the pan!

We Were Promised Jetpacks
We Were Promised Jetpacks has put out a pretty fun album. The lead singer has a very distinctive Scottish accent, which is fun and novel for us colonists. There are a few tracks that are long and well thought out (Keeping Warm), a few that build up into something great (It's Thunder And It's Lightning) and some that are great from start to finish (Quiet Little Voices). They came through Columbus, but they were touring with Jimmy Eat World and they deserve better than that. So, I did not see them.

There are more tracks worth listening to on this album, but here's a playlist of the tracks mentioned above plus "Ships With Holes Will Sink":

No comments:

Post a Comment