Monday, November 1, 2010

Fruit with Cashew Cream [Arcade Fire]

Vegan MoFo Day 1

This is my breakfast almost every day of the week. Dates, blueberries, strawberries and bananas covered in cashew cream.  Sometimes I mix it up with some raspberries, too.

Cashew Cream
Cashew cream is pretty amazing stuff. It's a bit fluffy, tastes like dessert and it's raw (almost raw? I'm not sure. There's some debate about vanilla extract).  The amounts should be adjusted to how you like it, but here's a starting point:

  • 1 cup raw cashews
  • 1.5 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon agave nectar
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Soak the cashews in water for 30 minutes.  Save 1/2 cup of soak water, drain cashews. Grind cashews in food processor.  Add up to 1/2 cup of the soak water (start with less and work up to 1/2 cup if it needs it).  Add agave nectar, lemon juice and vanilla extract.  Puree until smooth. Refrigerate.

The cream will firm up a little bit in the fridge. I puree my cashews with the water for a few minutes until everything is extra smooth.


Very unflattering picture of just the cashew cream


My breakfast (unmixed)


My breakfast (remixed)

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
This album is strongest as one continuous listen. There are a few songs that are strong on their own, but the songs really support each other and are best in album order.

In my opinion the strongest tracks are "We Used To Wait", "Ready To Start", "City with No Children" and "Rococo". Here's a playlist of those four tracks:

There's a very cool music video for "We Used To Wait" that uses google maps images of a location that you specify in the video. There are several other uses of new web technologies, as well. It's unlike any other music video I've ever seen and definitely worth checking out: http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/

4 comments:

  1. Your breakfast ROCKS! I've never made cashew cream before and I have absolutely no idea why!!
    Happy MoFo'ing.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of fruit and cashew cream for breakfast. I never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments Jeni and Molly!

    Give cashew cream a try and let me know how it goes. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

    You can follow all of my updates on twitter. I tweet with username @vegansoundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm just finding out how versatile cashews are. your cashew cream sounds awesome!

    i never really got into arcade fire before but i love that album!

    ReplyDelete