Thursday, November 4, 2010

Homemade Soy Milk [The Futureheads]

Vegan MoFo Day 3

Homemade Soy Milk
Store bought soy milk comes with a few issues, in my opinion. Mainly, it's overpriced and it comes in packages that are not recycled. I'll buy it in a pinch, but I prefer to make it myself.

Making my own soy milk required a steep investment, though. I use a SoyQuick (link). It can make various milks including soy, almond, oat and rice. The machine comes with a book of recipes. I normally just make plain soy milk, though. It's really easy to use and to clean. The machine's cycle is only about 15 minutes. I spend more time than that on prepping the beans and filtering the milk when it's done, though. I think it's important to remove the skins from the beans before making it or else the milk will taste like beans which is quite different than commercially available soy milk. I also add a little salt and agave to mine.

There's quite a bit of pulp left over from making soy milk. It's called okara and we'll be seeing it next week in a cookie recipe.

The Futureheads
The Chaos by The Futureheads is a non-stop fun album. I had a difficult time picking just a few songs for a playlist. The entire album is peppy and I'm not sure that anyone can resist dancing when "Heartbeat Song" is playing.

If you're a fan of peppy music with a punk influence, this album is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment