Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pumpkin Cookies with Cashew Frosting [Metric]

Vegan MoFo Day 6

I get pretty excited about pumpkin come fall. I haven't made a pumpkin pie yet this year, but I made pumpkin cornbread a few weeks ago and now I've moved onto pumpkin cookies.

Pumpkin Cookies with Cashew Frosting
These were so good that I forgot to take a picture and now they're gone. I guess I'll just have to make them again and snap a picture. Warning tangent ahead: I rarely bake these days due to a lack of margarine that I'm willing to use. After reading about the source of palm oil and the destruction that it causes, I stopped buying Earth Balance. So, I chose this recipe because not only does it not call for margarine it uses the okara that is left over from making soy milk.

The cookie recipe comes from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen and can be found here: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/10/pumpkin-cookies.html. I didn't make any modifications to the cookie recipe. The cookies taste really good. They are well spiced, which is something I'm looking for in a pumpkin baked good. The texture is not what I expected, though. It was more like bread, which is not bad. It just was not what I anticipated.

For frosting, I made a thick cashew cream. It is similar in process and ingredients to the cashew cream that I wrote about a few days ago here. You want the icing to be thick, so use soak water sparingly. I went a little heavier on the vanilla and agave nectar, too.

Let the cookies cool down before icing. I think the icing was best when it had a chance to firm up. So, I let the cookies sit out for a few hours before eating them. You don't want to leave them out all the time, though since the icing is raw. Store them in the fridge to prevent spoiling.

Metric
Fantasies by Metric is an album that doesn't disappoint during any track. I saw them in concert when they came through Columbus (their own show, not when they opened for Muse). Not only was the music awesome, their show was really fun, the lead singer had tons of energy and the lights were great.

It's tough to pick just a few tracks from this album. If you have a chance, listen to the whole thing.

BONUS: two great Metric tracks not from this album:

No comments:

Post a Comment